Tuesday, September 28, 2010

The Road Winds…And I Find Myself Alone

The day I took a day to myself to wrap my head around being left
 alone in a couple days. I really enjoyed it!

9/25/10

The Road Winds…And I Find Myself Alone

As he mused about these things, he realized that he had to choose between thinking of himself as the poor victim of a thief and as an adventurer in quest of this treasure.
-The Alchemist


The four of us found ourselves in Switzerland. Holding our heads out the window as our train winded around the mountains, taking in as many breaths of fresh air as we could. Nearly hyperventilating we found ourselves roaming the streets of a quaint beautiful village. By the way, if you go to Switzerland visit Interlaken and Lauderbruen! The green rolling hills and snow-covered mountains have so much to offer: hiking, skydiving, canyoning and so much more!
The town of Lauderbruen, Switzerland! 

Oktoberfest! I can't wait to go back one day! It was soo much fun!
After forcing ourselves on the train we headed to Müchen for Oktoberfest. Summed up, Oktoberfest is your county fair with silly rides plus huge beer tents with everyone dressed in dundles and lederhosen (the traditional dress). I found it intriguing that so many cultures came together to have a good time. You would think that with a liter of beer at hand fights would burst out everywhere. On the contrary, proast (cheers) are given frequently along with happy hugs. Life is enjoyed.

Then Thursday came.

The day I had feared all week. Originally Trevor had planned on staying at least a month with me to explore Europe. Due to him meeting the love of his life before we left, he decided he had to go back as soon as possible to see her. Yes, that’s right. This was decided during the first ten days of our trip. The first day in Rome I was sick when I realized I was going to be by myself to do all the things I had planned on doing with someone else. I went through all the stages… shock, anger, acceptance… I think I am missing one, whatever it is I’m sure I went through it too. I had a feeling this would happen before I left for the trip, but wasn’t prepared for it.

Side note: Wow! The mountains in Austria are beautiful! I think its snowing up there! I’m on the train right now heading to Nuremburg.

Oktoberfest dressed in the traditional wear! It was too much fun! 
Back to the dreaded Thursday. I pulled myself out of bed after saying a quick prayer for comfort. While on the train to Salzburg I realized I am doing this. This has always been a dream of mine and I’m doing it!

After having my first schnitzel, (I still didn’t know what it was until it landed on my plate. Oh and it was delicious!) I walked back to my hostel. Walking I was questioning everything. Is this where I should be? Am I doing the right thing? I looked to a patch of clovers and immediately found a 4-leaf clover. Then to my right foot found a 1-cent euro. Since it has no heads I say both sides are lucky! I smiled looking up at the sunset over the castle. Yes, Michelle, I choose happiness.

The first day all by myself... I took a beautiful hike in Austria!
So I press onward to another day. Another day of learning, finding peace, being content, and choosing happiness. Onward!


By the way I want to put a shout out to my friend Jerry who helped inspire me to do this trip! He is an amazing photographer and also traveled a year around the world! http://www.easyphotoclass.com/classes/blog/

5 comments:

  1. So you're flying solo now? What's the gameplan for the next month? -misha

    ReplyDelete
  2. So awesome Kat. Keep em coming. You inspire me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Take the time to get to know each place you visit and don't feel like you have to see it all right now. You will probably go back many times. I intend to!

    ReplyDelete
  4. One (of many) very cool thing about your trip is that at some point you're going to realize that you're not scared or at all intimidated about going anywhere by yourself (excluding parts of Somalia, afghanistan, and a few other failed states of course) You don't realize when the transformation happens but somewhere along the way and somehow it does happen. As a matter of fact you look forward to the adventure and self discovery...
    Safe travels Kat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that God let you see the clover and penny! This is still an amazing trip and He knew all of this before you left. By the way...the other stage of it is denial =( So sorry that happened! I so wish I could be there!!

    ReplyDelete