Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Waiting for the Cows to Come Home…Literally!







11-10-10

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-
I took the one less traveled by,
And that made all the difference.
-Robert Frost


3 days till my one-month mark! Sitting here halfway up a mountain in the German Alps, I think back to a month ago! I have to take a break- I’m just a little out of shape! I’m blaming the sausages!

One month ago I sat at my parents house scared to death of this decision I made to quit my job and have an unmapped adventure. My heart would speed with the nervous thought of- What in the world am I doing?!

Sitting above the town of Garmisch, Germany watching the leaves change into red and yellow, I no longer have the racing heart. Yes, I have been by myself some. But like I told my mom before I went on a mission’s trip for a month to Venezuela by myself after the 7th grade- “I’m only by myself until I get there.” With 6.5 billion people in this world we are never alone. With the technology we have now it is getting even smaller. I paid 10 Euro ($13) for the month to have internet from my phone. So basically I can text for free with Ping (username: katroberts) or talk for free with Skype (katrowink) even in the Alps of Germany!

…Onward up the mountain!

I started climbing the mountain and started chatting with an older couple. Just as I said Germans are so friendly! When we got o the top they pointed out all the important places in the panoramic view!

I arrived in Garmisch yesterday. As I was walking through the old town I noticed locals were sitting on their porches at 5pm with a cup of hot coffee in hand waiting. When I asked what they were waiting for they pointed up towards a pasture at the top of the town. All the sudden, I heard bells in the distance getting closer. Then I saw them… They were waiting for the cows to come home!

(top left: the cows coming home on their own! They even parted ways as they each went to different houses!

top right: the German couple I met!

The view from the top of the mountain!

Going through a town going up to the trailhead!

A protest about stopping nuclear energy. They started here then made a human chain around the Munich! It was Awesome!)

3 comments:

  1. Looks amazing! Missed ya at ACL but I think you are def. having a better time! Kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so funny about the cows! (my radio has the "See the World" song on right now)

    ReplyDelete